Sunday, January 8, 2012

Varnish removal

I spent the better part of two days trying to remove varnish and crud that was on the interior of the boat.   I first tried sanding.  That didn't work because I really couldn't get the sander under the deck structure.  That also included the Dremel multimax.  When I did get sandpaper on the wood  it didn't do anything against the 40+ years of varnish.   I then tried environmentally friendly  varnish stripper.  Let's just say Environment 1 varnish 0.  It didn't budge that old varnish.  The last point of attack was the old standby,  old style paint remover.  That stuff worked.  It took off everything!    I'll clean up the rest of the interior in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment