Monday, February 27, 2012

More paint

The weather has not cooperated the last week or so but today I got a nice day so I put the second coat of red on the bottom.  I used the sprayer again.  One more coat should do it.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Back on track

We had wonderful weather here in Delaware so I got out my trusty spray gun and hit the bottom.  Now it looks good.  No runs, hits or errors  
I also think I figured out how to link blogs..


Saturday, February 18, 2012

Two steps backward

I moved the boat outside to see how the first coat of paint was.  In the process of moving I dropped the boat and broke the splash rails.  On top of that the paint was crap.  It ran and checked up.  Not good.  I took the paint back off and I'll try again when the weather gets better.  On the positive side getting the broken rails off the boat was not too bad. I used my Dremel multimax and it the rails came off with out scratching anything else.  The old brestplate came off in one piece too.


Thursday, February 16, 2012


I put the first coat of paint on the bottom.  It is Interlux Brightside one part polyurathane paint.  I think the bottom will take 3 coats.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Bottoms up

I flipped the boat over and started to sand the bottom.  I had to fill a number of holes that showed up when I took the old deck gussets out.  They were nailed in from the bottom and the nails pulled through.  I faired  some rough spots but for the most part the bottom is in good shape.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

New home

This is the new home for the duration of this project.   I had to stop working in the garage because of allergies from family members.  The second pix is a better perspective of where we will be working.  I've done other projects in this shed but not with all the other boats in it.  There are 3 other moths and 4 canoes in with us...

Here we are with 4 coats of urathane on the boat


Well, not really.  I'm using Spar Urathane for the initial coats of the boat to seal the wood.  When it dries it's very hard and has UV built in.  I can also get two coats on in one day.  After about 6 coats of this stuff I'll put 3-4 coats of real varnish .  I'm also moving the boat to the shed.  I got told no paint or varnish smells in the house.  

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Finish sanding

I sanded the boat with 320 sandpaper.  She is ready for varnish.  That is if I could find varnish where I live.  None of the stores here carry it. Not HD, not Lowe's, not Ace.  Even the Shirwin Williams paint store doesn't carry it.  For the astute viewers you will note that I cut down the mast boss about 1/4 inch.  After I put it on I realized that it was too high.      I should be in Annapolis some time this week.  Back in civilization they have varnish.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Woodwork is done

I finished up the woodwork.  Yesterday I glued on the little 1/4 rounds that hold the aft end of the splash shield.  That was a bit tricky but it worked.  I just finished glueing the inner rails.  I didn't use epoxy on this part.  I used TiteBond II waterproof glue.  We shall see if that turns out to be a good decision over time...  The blue tape holds a coffer dam.  I had a small gap on that side so I filled it with epoxy.

And the after...

You can see the 1/4 rounds and the mast boss in this pix.  The breast plate on the splash boards is the original...

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Misc. parts

I'm in the final woodworking stage for the Cates.  I fabricated inner rails for the seat area.  Your legs will thank you for that.  George A reminded me that I need a mast boss.  That's the chunk of wood that goes around the mast step opening.  It keeps the mast movement from chewing up the opening.  I'll cut the hole tomorrow...
The first pix is the back stop for the rails
This is the before, after is below...