Friday, January 6, 2012

Other boats

This is what I do when I'm not restoring or building Moth boats.  I build cedar strip canoes.  I started doing this when I retired.  The first boats were made from 1/4 inch thick by 3/4 inch wide cedar strips.  The canoes turned out very nice to the point that I could sell them.  The problem that I had was the weight of the boats.  The 1/4 inch boat were coming out around 35 pounds.  Given the small size (11.5 feet long) I thought that was too much.     Some research said you could build using 1/8 inch strips so I tried it.  This is the result.
This one weighs 17 pounds
This one weighs 21 pounds.  

The canoes have 6 oz fiberglass on the exterior and 6 oz Kevlar on the inside.  The Kevlar gives the strength to the 1/8 inch strips.

Both are for sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment