Tuesday, April 24, 2012


Just about done on both boats.  They did come out nice.  I'm ready to race!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Final coat

I put on the last coat of spar urethane.  I used the Helmsman brand.  That makes a total of 8 coats.   Next up is reinstalling the hardware.  I should have the boat race ready by  next week.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Back on track

I got all the nasty varnish off the boat.  Not using that stuff anymore.  The way to go is urethane.  It looks as good,  has as good or better UV protection, and it goes on easy.  Not to mention it's 1/3 the cost.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Two steps back

I haven't posted too much about the Cates because I screwed up the last coat of varnish.  For whatever reason it sagged and clumped up. When it dried it looked horrible.  I've been spending time between the Abbott project stripping and sanding all the finish off the Cates.  I'm just about there.  A few more hours and I'll get to start all over again.